Is Elia right for you?
Do you want to take intimate walking trails through the natural surroundings?
Experience home cooked Cretan food in a friendly and social atmosphere? Relax in the peaceful environment with stunning sea views listening to nothing but the birds? Drift away in our holistic spa and gorgeous swimming pool? Visit the most famous beaches on the island? Explore the wild west and south coasts? take the food and wine trails to organic olive presses and boutique wineries? Dine in small villages offering the best produce that Crete has to offer?
The unique location and style of Elia Traditional Hotel & Spa and the fact that we are an eco-friendly hotel placed in the middle of a big organic cultivated olive grove ,using local and organic products for our breakfast buffet and restaurant ,solar power for most of our energy demands , eco-friendly air conditioning, noiseless eco-friendly mini-bar fridges and eco mattresses produced by cocomat company ,attracts a different type of guest than the many seaside resorts of the island; one that is more interested in local culture, nature and the islands turbulent past. This is the reason we try to enhance your stay by offering an array of beautiful walks along forgotten footpaths and through small local hamlets. There is no better way to explore an area than by foot and these trails do not disappoint with their outstanding view, friendly villages and enchanting olive groves.
Elia is the perfect destination for visitors who seek vacations in nature. The location -our only neighbor is nature – and the small number of rooms provide the opportunity for a close connection to nature far from any kind of modern noise enjoying the song of birds the subtle sounds – essence- of nature as also the stunning views and the setting sun in the west.
The above parameters, during covid epidemic, in combination with the necessary safety measures taken, make us a very safe place to visit.
On the other hand, Elia’s pool with its magnificent views to the Mediterranean Sea, a relaxing massage or maybe a walk to the paths starting from Elia, and a delicious Cretan meal in the end of the day, at the dining terrace overlooking the sea, will surely convince you to spend some days relaxing at Elia.
You will also appreciate the personable, family environment of the hotel, the friendly but not intrusive service and the fact that when you leave, you feel that you have not only made lifelong friends with many of the other guests, but with us, and we feel the same!
Trying to give value to our visitor’s time, covering various wishes they have, we offer specific instructions to discover a rich variety of unique activities:
- Protected areas (like spatha peninsula) that they can see by driving through the mountains, but also walking around enjoying the unique natural beauty.
- Areas with rare endemic plants, birds and animals of Crete.
- Traditional villages of unique architecture, as also lakes and rivers.
- Routes for difficult or easier walking such as gorges or paths.
(Elia is already a Walking base for an English office specialized in organizing walking tours around Europe.)
- There are also, two walking paths that start from Elia:
- A. Circular walk from Elia back to Elia via Loukoumixeliana, Xarvatta, Pontikiana, Kato Vouves, Loukoumixeliana, and back to Elia. Time: 2 hrs and 10 mins. T. distance: 10km. Height gained: 200m.
- B. Circular walk from Elia through olive groves, visit to a Byzantine chapel and ending up visiting the ancient olive tree in Ano Vouves. Time: 2hrs & 15mins. T. distance: 7km Height gained: 400m.
- Coastal of West and South Crete: Because of Elia’s advantageous position towards the most interesting sightseeing and the most beautiful beaches of the south and west Crete visitors are able to reach them in a short time. Especially Falasarna, Balos and Elafonissi beaches are considered by reputable organizations like Trip Advisor or CNN, to be included in the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. Of course, places like the above are most of the summer time crowed, but with our tips you can see them in the best possible conditions. On the other hand, we can propose beaches where you can have a swim almost or totally alone.
- Archeological places, old churches, museums main or local ones.
- Experience and get familiar with Local culture, like concerts under the fool moon, festivals with food and local music. (so they can meet original Crete)
- Guided tours – lessons, for wine or beer or bio-olive oil
- Cruises, can be arranged with small or bigger boats to isolated beaches to swim or small islands nearby Crete with Archeological interest, or dolphin-spotting in south Crete, or combination of the above. We can also arrange Diving with a special office.
- Horse riding, and advice about Cycling, Water Park or places where water Sports are being held.
- Mediterranean cooking , for those who would like to learn ‘secrets’ of our recipes.
- Special places to eat, we can advise in not commercial places.
(emphasis in quality-tradition)
- Celebrations, for birthday or other anniversaries.
- Honeymoon: Some of our rooms have such a romantic atmosphere that is ideal for honeymoon. (It is mention with one photo in the recommendation of Conde Nast Traveler. (You can see many relevant reviews on our VISITORS’ BOOK)
- Wedding, we can organize for a small number of guests of 30persons or more if we cooperate with nearby hotels. Please inform us ABOUT this AT LEAST A year BEFORE so that all our rooms are available.
- Transportation, we can arrange to the airport or elsewhere in fair price.