about the dependency of George Alex. Digridis
The dependency of George Alex. Digridaki is located at the village Ano Vouves, province Kissamos, county of Chania and in a distance of 25km from the capital of the county, Chania city. Το building complex of the house as well as the auxiliary spaces is surrounded from a big agricultural area with fertile low hills full with olive trees and other bearing-fruit trees, which at the biggest part belongs to the owner of the dependency.
George Alex. Digridis or Digridakis, known as Captain Digridis was born at 1882 at the house of the farm.
From his young age he showed his impassioned zeal for the scheming of that period at the enslaved Crete. At the age of 15 he took part at the rebellion of the Cretan people against Turks, 1897, at the fight of Dromonero Selinou.
At 1905, after leaving his studies, he followed Eleftherio Venizelo as an armed, at the revolution of Theriso and this didn’t stop for the rest of the public course of the Ethnarch.
During the Cretan autonomy he took part at the Macedonian Αγώνα as the leader of Konstantinos Manos.
When Eleftherios Venizelos became the prime minister of Greece, το 1910, he followed him in Athens and joined the Greek army. He took part at the Greek-Bulgarian war of 1912-13 and very important was his participation to the Macedonian front at 1917, since for his brave actions was promoted at the military force “for bravery”. At that time he gained the nickname “Earhole” because of a serious injury to his head which left him a hole to his ear. During the wars of this period he won four times the gold metal for bravery.
Though he stayed away from the army at 1932 he was actively participating at the events which were happening at that time in Greece. He took part to the revolt of 1935 and with 180 more men, they left with a torpedo boat from the port of Souda for the Dede Agats. After the revolt was repressed, he was jailed among others at the Agia jails of Chania for twelve months.
At 1941, during Second World War he was recalled to the army and he was assigned the constitution of the militia of Kissamos province. For his important offer to the fights against Italians and Germans and his braveries, he was awarded with the title of the General Leader of Kissamos province.
His great love for the freedom of his country drove him to the organized resistance against the German and so during the occupation he was activated to the department of counter-espionage, among other English people. For this reason he was awarded with a diploma-metal from the supreme commander of the allied forces of the Mediterranean, Marshal Sir Alexander.
After the liberation, at the age of 64, he retired to his farm house but he continued to watch the evolutions of the liberating fight of the enslaved Greeks at Cyprus and he was very sad when he war informed that the allies execute the Cypriots fighters Karaoli and Dimitriou. As a protest for this shameful action from the allies, as he said, he returned back his Diploma-Metal to the English ambassador of Greece.
George Alex. Digridaki or known as Captain Digridis “Earhole) had six children, three boys and three girls, Alexander, Emanouil(died as a newborn), Nick, Erasmia, Georgia and Eleftheria. His close relationship with Eleftherio Venizelo was corroborated when the son of the last, Sofoklis Venizelos baptized his first-born child Alexander. From his son Nick, who followed the principles of his father (graduated from the school of the army cadets) he had a grandson with the same name as he, George N. Digridaki, the today’s owner of the farm. George Alex. Digridakis died at the age of 86 years old at 1968.
The house was built at, about, the second half of the previous century and shows remarkable traditional architecture, the way this was developed through the centuries from the influences of the morphological elements of the constructions of Crete – Venetians and Turks, but also from the climate and the soil conditions of the land.
At the main house were added, later, other on a level with the ground and also two levels floors, for the needs of the house as well as for the storage of the agricultural products. There are many significant details which reminds the old days use of the house like the maintenance of special holes on the walls of some rooms, which were used in order to defend from the enemies the old years.
The gardens are from traditional Cretan vegetable products and herbs.